Thursday, July 29, 2010

Ride Across the USA: 7/29/10 -- Walpole Island to Port Stanley, ONT -- 82 mi/ 2728 total

Migrant workers picking cucumbers. I visited with a boy of maybe 11, his little sister clinging to his side. She had on her dress and they both wore hats and were barefoot. This is the rest of their family at work but he stated he wasn't old enough yet. I don't know why I didn't take a picture of them and as we pedaled off, I couldn't help but think of the "Grapes of Wrath".....


The tobacco business is alive and well in Canada! This is flu tobacco, not to be confused with black tobacco, etc. We later saw workers removing the blooms off the plants.


Want a quiet place for lunch? This must be it!

Stealth camping along Lake Erie. I couldn't post all the pictures of this area, but it was a beautiful view looking out to the water.



Here's part of what we were looking at. It was oh, so peaceful.



Low 80's, unfavorable winds and it just seemed like a really long day. However ..... I nailed my first dog today with the spray which acts like mace does on humans. I called it the "across the body back-slant" shot. K was behind me and thought the whole thing was pretty humorous. I now feel confident that I can handle the next dog that might come after me. I'm sorry all you dog lovers, but I really hate being chased by them! We were all concerned with how we were going to connect with each other due to lack of cell service but we just asked J and H not to go any further than Port Stanley. We ended up stealth camping behind a maintenance area looking out to Lake Erie. It was an absolutely beautiful spot, not real hot and w/ gas we were able to cook our evening meal, sitting outside to eat, enjoying the good fortune we had.

No comments:

Post a Comment